Rachel Forbes, JD, Executive Director
We are truly excited and honoured to welcome (or welcome back!) you and your family to the LDS community.
Whether you are joining us in East Vancouver, North Vancouver, through a RISE in School program, or virtually via RISE at Home, please know that you are now part of a community of educators, advocates and other guardians, parents and students who want to help your child and your family succeed. Please lean on us and let us know how we can help you best support your child.
At LDS, each member of our team is driven by and committed to our mission: to empower all children and youth with learning differences to recognize their unique strengths and develop the tools to achieve lifelong confidence and success. We believe that our approach to empowering your child is special because we work behind the scenes to deliver individualized services to each student based on their needs, and as a charity, we do that for every student we work with, regardless of the family's ability to pay.
We take pride in grounding our work with each student and family according the following service provision principles:
1. Holistic: We coordinate with parents and guardians, general classroom teachers, resource teachers, counsellors, psychologists, family doctors, pediatricians and other professionals to build a full picture of each student’s learning profile
2. Individualized: We develop customized learning plans and practice careful instructor matching for each unique student.
3. Accessible and Inclusive: We work to design our spaces and deliver our programming so that students and families find them inclusive and physically as well as financially accessible.
4. Technology enhanced: We are integrating assistive technologies into programs and making these available to empower students and enhance student learning and progress.
5. Integrated: We strive to complement and enhance students’ experiences at school and to empower children and families toward self-advocacy.
In order to fulfill our mission and our service principles, we work every day to enhance, improve and add to the resources we provide to families. We thank you for your patience and your feedback as we evolve! Please check in with us (via our site, social media, newsletter, or directly) to learn about our growing list of programs, services and resources as they are released in the coming months.