We're excited to be offering weekly online STEM programs for students in grade 3 to 12! Programs are developed and taught by undergraduate/graduate science or engineering students, Teacher Candidates, or Ontario Certified Teachers.
Online STEM CLUB Program runs weekly for 1..5 hours each session. All sessions are live and guided by our wonderful team of Instructors and volunteer Counselors. On the first day, Instructors and volunteer Counselors will start with a brief introduction, set goals and expectations, and do Icebreakers so that participants can get to know each other. The remaining time will be for engaging in STEM activities and Q&A.
Like our in-person programs, we are offering two or three unique themes for each grade section in the Fall! Fall themes include:
- Junior Scientists (general science)
- Amusement Park of Simple Machines
- Mad Scientists (general science)
- Force Fields
- Scientist-in-Training (general science)
- Cellular Science
- Python Coding Club
- Mini YU
- Molecular Menu
- Python Coding Club
Winter themes will be available in October 2021. More information about our online programs can be found here: https://scix.yorku.ca/online-fallwinter-programs/
Testimonials about our online programs:
- "Exactly what my child needed after a long year of distance learning from the pandemic... He's re-inspired and excited about learning. Thanks!"
- "The program was great, the instructions given to the kids were extremely clear and the kids had enough time to complete their tasks on their own. The program included physical activities which kept the kids in an amazing mood and very focused. The group games were fun and engaging. The instructors were amazing and gave the same attention to every single kid in the class. Thank you for the interesting and fun program!"
- "[My Child] had a great time at the Mechanics camp. The exercises were well thought-out, hands on and age appropriate. The kits were super well organized. Thank you, York U staff. You rock!"
- "I just want to say a big thank you to you and your instructors Justin and Vanessa. This is the best virtual camp that our children have attended so far! ... The instructors are constantly engaging the students and making sure they are understanding and following the instructions, and of course, the instructors were being extremely patient and helpful. They kept reminding the students that it’s ok to make mistakes and we may not get things perfect the first time. They are always encouraging the kids to try their best and praising them when they have good attitudes. It was a great learning experience and the kids had fun! Thank you!"
- "The Flight Academy online camp has been the best extra-curricular online program my son has joined so far (and he's joined many!) He's been eager to get online and see what you'd be doing every day. The facilitators are very well prepared, engaging, explaining in just the right amount of detail and "seeing" and encouraging every kid's contributions. He's learned a good amount of science, and he's been flying rockets in our backyard all week. Thank you, you are amazing!"
- "Kudos to you and your team on a successful summer! Great work on the engaging sessions where the staff were very professional and also equally charismatic and where guest speakers were very relevant and informative. [My Child] spoke very highly of the person who had worked to provide COVID vaccines this year, and also spoke of all the anecdotes of the speakers, and also the lead students; he recalled fondly current and past years' speakers and team leaders of the sessions, such as the nursing speakers and other students who instructed these sessions both this current and last year.
Also, great work on the pre-planning of the experiments (what a great box of experiments, stickers/ baggies/ notes, and organization of all the materials!!!) and the early follow-ups with participants and parents to gauge how the sessions were progressing (online and with the students directly).Your team surpassed itself this year, despite the many challenges of schedules, the virtual context and all the uncertainty that COVID brought to the sessions both last year and this year."