About this course
In this introductory course for learning to create a business plan that will lead to running an online business, students will be provided with the Business Starter Kit from Shopify that outlines a step by step process to designing their own business. Online tools for photo editing, graphic design, and marketing will also be taught to create, upload, and potentially sell their created product line or service on a running Shopify Store.
What you'll learn
Students are about to begin an exciting journey towards becoming a boss! The Shopify Business Starter Kit is specifically designed to give students the tools, skills and knowledge to run their own business. Students can personalize their book with stickers, sketches, and notes while having fun working on activities throughout the course. Amazing things can happen when children explore new ideas while they are using their endless imagination and creativity.
Students will follow their booklet to completion with additional weekly readings and preparation for each unit quiz. At the end of the course, each student will be able present - it is up to the student if they want to share their project with the class - a fully developed business idea together with a product line to post on the class Shopify Store.
- Intro: What is an entrepreneur?
- Section 1: Develop your big business ideas
- Activity 1: Turn your hobbies into ideas
- Activity 2: Brainstorm your business idea
- Section 2: Making a Business Plan
- Activity 1: Find your target customers
- Activity 2: Set your business apart
- Activity 3: Create your action plan
- Activity 4: Craft your vision
- Section 3: Design your brand
- Activity 1: Name your business
- Activity 2: Create a logo
- Activity 3: Make business cards
- Section 4: Learn about 3D printing using Tinkercad
- Activity 1: Make a nametag
- Activity 2: Make a teacup
- Section 5: Make marketing magic
- Activity 1: Create a print ad
- Activity 2: Design your own merchandise
- Section 6: Share and tell
- Activity 1: Make a commercial
- Activity 2: Present and share your business
- Section 7: Make a Collection of Products for Shopify
- Activity 1: Make a t-shirt
- Activity 2: Make a hoodie and a hat
- Section 8: Learn about Dropshipping
- Activity 1: Determine a price, profit & mark-up
- Activity 2: Finish your collection
- Section 9: Your collection goes live to our Shopify Store
- Activity 1: Design an Instagram ad to tell everyone about your collection
Each lesson will begin with a 30-minute review of the week’s assignment which will follow our Shopify Kids business starter kit. A new concept is introduced each week with in-class demonstrations and practice.
Materials & Homework
In addition to the use of traditional tools for completion of the activities within the student workbook, a variety of online internet tools will be taught for creative design and marketing. Students should all have a personal Gmail address to sign up for accounts on Canva and other browser-based web services. All these sites are industry tested and child safe and will not involve any multi player interaction.
Learners will not need to use any apps or websites beyond the standard programs that are easily accessed on any browser (Chrome & Firefox preferred). Accordingly, students will need their own Gmail account independent of their school account as many school accounts block access to free memberships to some of these sights.