For parents and kids that have never explored the private school option, the stigma of "stuck up rich kids" may be what comes to mind. We can probably thank Hollywood for that notion because private schools are very different than what the movies depict. Sure, many of them have wonderful campuses and facilities, such as olympic size pools and high tech laboratories, and tuition rates can be high. But the real benefits are the programs, projects and experiences students gain - and those are available at schools of all tuition levels. Working on real-life business proposals, hosting radio stations, planning fundraisers to build schools in underdeveloped countries, and learning in one classroom with international students from Spain, China, Germany, or India, are all everyday activities at private schools across Canada.
I summarize some exciting programs below, but first I recommend everyone watches the video from our videographer's summer visits. It does a great job of looking into life at private school with commentary from students, teachers and parents. So what do private schools offer children? Here are just a few pretty cool programs that are designed to build confidence, independence and knowledge:
- Participation in and production of broadway quality shows
- National sports tournaments
- Advanced academic programs such as IB, AP, Round Square, or gifted programs
- Experiential learning through travel in a van or on a tall ship
- Real-world classroom assignments
- Unique teaching philosophies: Montessori, Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, Christian,
- International learning and exchange
Do you want your child to experience these opportunities? I do!